Nigel went on to describe how the stones fell into different categories such as – manor, parish & town, military, leats and waterworks, turnpikes, commemorative plaques, railways and private boundaries. Manors became Local Boards and in turn District Councils and so on.
This growth & eventual amalgamation had meant numerous changes in boundaries and the proliferation and variety of the marker stones.
Many of these are in prominent though sometimes quite precarious places and others almost buried under layers of tarmac.
Left to right along the shoreline: three shipbuilding slips (two of which survive, much rebuilt, at Mast Quay), two dry docks (which also survive, much rebuilt) and a further slip (since filled in).Many parishes were absorbed over the years and various stones can still be found.Particularly of interest is a series from 1893, erected by the Nigel’s talk contained a whole series of photographs of surviving stones, illustrating the varieties and styles of the markers.Stones also survive belonging to the and Stonehouse Leats, as well as those around Burrator marked PCWW (Plymouth Corporation Water Works).Others mentioned were those of the Modbury Turnpike Trust, railway, telegraph cable markers and Hospital of the Poor.